Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BluRay/DVD drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serendipiter

Programmer
Jun 22, 2010
US
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NW350F laptop running Windows 7 (64 bit) with an Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S that is not working (most of the time). Occasionally (rarely) it works. When it is not working it sounds like Bah-Dum, Bah-Dum, ... whether or not there is a disk in the unit. It seems like it is continually trying to re-position the lenses. It operates like this immediately when the computer is powered up and even when the unit is uninstalled (that is, software uninstalled via device manager).

Device Manager shows no problems (no exclamation marks). I've downloaded firmware and driver updates (after the problem started happening, not before).

Any suggestions for fixing or troubleshooting?

Sounds like it's dead or near death. Can't think of any reason to conclude that replacing the hardware isn't the solution.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Yep, sounds like the sensors that it uses to find home position are getting weak. Or they are dirty, all part of the lens assy. you could try using a lint free cloth and gently cleaning the lens.

Probably dead. I have tried cleaning the lenses which didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back