Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bluetooth Transmitter Questiion

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohaakamai3

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2006
US
Hi everyone-

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I figured I would try it here as opposed to starting another account on some PDA forum that I won't use.

I am considering purchasing a Bluetooth transmitter, linked here:

The primary use of this product is to allow audio transmission from a non bluetooth device, like an mp3 player, and connect to bluetooth stereo head phones.

Here's is my question-

Essentially, I want to use it in a "backwards" fashion.
Rather than plugging it into an mp3 player and have sound go "out" to the bluetooh headphones, I want to have a bluetooth signal from my cell phone go "in" to a stereo jack to play music from my cell phone to a home or car stereo.

My first guess is that it probably wouldn't work, but then again, bluetooth communication is often 2-way, capable or sending and receiving data, so maybe it would?

There is a store near me that sells it for $79, which is kind of steep- and I suppose I could buy it, try it, and return it if it doesn't work, but I figured I would ask.

FYI- I have seen (though never really researched) devices that were more designed for what I am looking for. The reason I am more focused on this solution is because I would still like the device for it's intended application as well, which is to be able to use my other non bluetooth mp3 devices with my bluetooth head phones.

Anyway, I hope that all made sense. Thanks for reading.

I doubt that will work for your intended use. The latest Bluetooth technologies do indeed support bidirectional data transfer, but I don't think you'll be able to do this:

[ol][li]Send the audio from the bluetooth unit TO your MP3 player[/li]
Nor

[li]Receive the audio from any source into your MP3 player, unless using a line-in port... you can't go both ways with most MP3 player audio ports - it's either IN or OUT, not both. There may be some exceptions, but I know it's really rare that any actually accept a line-in connection at all anyway - some do, but not many in comparison to the market.[/li][/ol]

So, in all honesty, I don't think that will work that way. Technically it should be possible, but they just don't build those devices, at least commonly, to operate like that.

What brand/model of MP3 player?

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back