Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bluetooth headset (Plantronics Voyager Pro) Laptop T410 Lenovo built-in device or external is better 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorney

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
CA
Hello, I am looking for advice on what would be the best solution to connect my new Bluetooth Headset to my laptop.

I have connected successfully the Headset but when talking on any VOIP we could hear static on the voice. If I just use the laptop speakers and micro there is no static, so I assume the Bluetooth introduce the static noise.

Does the internal Bluetooth device could be the issue? I have tried to update drivers and Win8 said it is running the latest.

Does an external device would provide better performance?

Thanks,
Sylvain

Only in the respect that an external device would adhere to newer specs, and therefor perform better. The t410 is 4 years old and is stuck with the bluetooth spec of that time, so newer devices would have better performance, if you went with latest devices out.

Another option, of course, is to update the internal wifi/bluetooth card in your laptop. That is oftentimes very easy and cheap to do anyway. Although you will likely find USB bluetooth dongles cheaper than the latest wifi/bluetooth cards.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Except when they use proprietary cards, with strange connectors, then it's good luck. Although you can find and replace an all in one wifi card, it would have integrated bluetooth, but again, you have to be careful, as companies like Lenovo, won't let you just take one and plug it in, it has to make it past the white list in the bios. Otherwise, the machine will see it, but refuse to use it, even if the correct drivers are installed. There are tools out there, that will allow you to add hardware id's to the whitelist but I have never used them.

True - I forget that annoying fact. Thankfully I've only had to deal with that scenario a few times over the years.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back