Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BlueDragon voted Most Innovative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinda have a problem with that.. for a few reasons.

1.) Blue dragon was originally called tagtag or something like that.. they were about two years late on their release date.

2.) What's innovative about it? A while back I wrote a cfquery custom tag that used cfquery but allowed me to make quick changes.. Wherein I could use connectionstring and datasource in the custom tag parameters and edit the tag itself to use whichever param I liked.. nothing innovative about it, just a workaround.

One of BlueDragon's biggest initial promotions was that it was able to handle all CF Tags..! Great.. but how is that innovative.. they copied macromedia.. that's like calling the message center on my site innovative because it works just like email but doesn't use email.. Now I'm proud of it because its pretty stout and offers good features, but I know where I got the idea.. from email.

Thoughts on this guys?
Tony

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

well i dont know about 'innovative' either, but there are some differences I was impressed with, for 1- I have been trying to incorporate CFMX on a OS X server for quite some time. Macromedia has ignored the request to get a copy of ColdFusion running on a Macintosh, except the solution to use it as an WAR file or whatever running atop a Java environment. This might be comparable, but I can find no real documentation from MM that shows me how to accomplish it. (please dont flame me saying there is some obscure document somewhere on their site with instruction on how to do it, I mean REAL docs and REAL support for the platform) They don't claim to support it on their website except as a 'development purposes only' server. If they don't support it, I'm not buying it. So since many of my clients would like me to build web applications that run on OSX, I have not been able to use my favorite language to do it with, until BlueDragon. Secondly, it's FREE. Not only can I write web apps in CFML for OSX, I don't have to pay for it either. Thats a double-plus for me. I was not impressed when NewAtlantas website claimed it ran on OSX when 6.1 was in beta, when it CLEARLY did not run on OSX at the time- but they are in RC1 now and I am doing my best to work with their engineers during beta testing to get it to a stable RC2, then a final release because i have a vested interest in the product, but I dont think these differences make it truly innovative either.

One claim from their website I DO think is innovative is:
"With BlueDragon, CFML is now the only cross-platform web-scripting language that will allow you to deploy natively on .NET and J2EE."

Now keep in mind I have not verified that claim or how well this integration actually works, but if it is what they say it is, I think that IS an innovative idea.

figured i should get my ducks in a row about CF support for Mac OSX, this is from an FAQ

Code:
What version of ColdFusion is available for Mac OS X?

ColdFusion MX for J2EE Developer Edition to install on JRun 4 is currently the only ColdFusion product available for the Mac OS X operating system. This product is licensed for development purposes only, and is now available for download.

YAAAY i get to buy 2 products, ColdFusion for J2EE AND JRun 4...

About the OS X[curse] issue:
If you would use Coldfusion on OS X[curse] for production server you'll need to buy both, if you only want to develope coldfusion apps on OS X[curse] than it's free!

You can download it and use it under Developer License, that is free for single ip (127.0.0.1, Localhost).

But if you want to run coldfusion in a production environment... You can run Coldfusion MX for J2EE on any other J2EE application server, as far as I know! If you search hard enough on the net, you'll find a free production J2EE Server that will be compatible on OS X[curse]. So you could run coldfusion (payed) on a free J2EE server!

About the NewAtlanta Coldfusion server (what they call BlueDragon!)

I think it's great to have a free version for the CF application server (though it DOESN'T support ALL coldfusion tags)! But if it's innovative[yawn]??? I don't think so! It uses Coldfusion, but that you can deploy it on J2EE AND .NET that is maybe new... But I think if they have published this future in a sort of CFC or custom tag, it wasn't that big of a deal! But anyway I'm glad that NewAtlanta offers a free Coldfusion server! Saves me a lot of money...[thumbsup2]

Mike

Some people can learn, some people can teach.

hey dutch,
im guessing from the little angry guys you're not a OS X fan? i know that you can run it on another j2ee server, i was ranting more about the fact that from MM's point of view, I need to buy 2 products, and that BlueDragon is free and does not require me to do a lot of searching on the internet for a j2ee server for OS X (although, I've heard that JBoss included with OS X could be used, not sure) another thing im curious about is what other products were considered for this title, since it was voted on by CFDevJournal readers. Undoubtably the biggest advantage comes down to money, BlueDragon is a big step towards keeping up with the 'free' competition (JSP,.NET,PHP) - in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back