Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blue wall phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

macphoneguy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
US
does anyone make a ADA compatable wall phone that is ADA compliant? Just about any shade of Blue is Ok

check with black box voice services. I purchase a number of things from them and have gotten 2554's in a variety of colors. Never blue, but you may be able to order it that way.

both interesting web site's that I will keep in mind, however the customer is Now Ok with a regular white Handset with blue lettering on the back of the handset as we tended to go through a Handset every few Months

My application in this case is a public phone that is a ring down to a taxi booth for handicapped people, However the Handset was a "regular carbon handset" and it my understanding that to be fully ada compatable you have two requirement 1st is the height from the floor, 2nd is amplification for the hard of hearing, (there are probably many others) which a regular carbon handset would not have, and since i can't get them to change from blue to a "current color"(Like ash, almond,white, ivory, beige) changing to a white handset that is amplified, and is available, is the next best thing in my mind it will have "taxi booth" in blue letters going down vertically in "fairly" large lettering as it's sitting on the wall
someone else is dealing with the sign directly above it,

I have tried just changing the handset on a regular 2554 and have had poor results. Please post back how well that works for you. My experience is that I had to purchase a phone that was designed to go along with the handset - whether there was additional circuitry in the guts of the phone or not I don't know, but I know when somebody wrecked the phone and I kept the handset and used a regular 2554 base it did not work till I bought a new phone (and yes I tested the handset after I bought the new phone and it was OK.)

Who made the 2554 wall set and who made the amplified handset?

Even though the base networks are the same, some of the Touch-Tone™ pads are wired differently depending on who made the handset. If the phone is one of those all plastic Avayas, I would find a metal base WECO or ITT or Comdial/SC as a replacement (refurbished), they work with the standard "G6" series amplified handset which has a T1 carbon unit or a compatible Walker handset.

The older metal base sets will out last those all plastic Avaya things. One walk thru a Home Depot, I think would convince any real phone person that using a 2554 with a plastic base won't last long! In two of the stores I go to there are about five wall sets, taped with someones patch to hold the set to the wall jack because it is broken.

Walker was acquired by Plantronics.

You might also check out Viking Electronics, @ VikingElectronics.com they have lots of different outdoor sets with enhanced weather protection and armored handset cords, ADA compliant and such...

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

well, the orginal phones i posted about where older 2554 (I think stromberg-carlson chassis) although the location has approx 250 sets, some desk, some wall, some with dials, some without, different colors for different pourposes, I've gotten to know the "Innards" of the sets pretty well, in the years I have seen that two brands of handsets seem to work best, one is the walker/clarity/plantronics brand and two is the premier handsets from northsupply, as I have a number of local dealers of walker in my area, so if I think wants more then usual I can get it from another, for the wall phones I have tended to have one side or the other of the handset cradel broken off I usually get that from a vendor in texas(thank goodness for henry ford and his interchangeable parts) I tend to avoid the "cheaper" plastic based units, unless I have a compelling reason as if something goes bad, I tend to check the line/handset cord, it's usually one of those two things if it's not one of those two things, I tend to save the cords and get rid of the bad parts, as the plastic units tend not to have much in the way of "serviceable" items in it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back