Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen Win32K.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Anyone know what might have caused this blue screen?? Here's what I did to try to revive the system. Ultimately, I had to reload Windows, but I'm just curious after the fact. 0x0000008E The PC seems to be running happily now that it was reloaded.

Tried chkdsk from Bart PE - no problems found. Blue Screen in safe or regular boot afterwards.

Ran full virus scan from Bart PE - lots of trojans found and removed - still no boot. Blue Screen in safe or regular boot afterwards.

Tested memory - no problems found. Blue Screen in safe or regular boot afterwards

Pulled all hardware other than essential - still no boot. Blue Screen in safe or regular boot afterwards

Tried Windows XP Repair installation and the setup didn't recognize that there was an installation to be repaired - I didn't get the option.

Driver issue, e.g. wrong driver such as a Jmicron SATA driver for an Intel SATA controller, etc...

that would also explain why windows did not see the installation, perhaps...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I don't think so - the computer had been running for years and I didn't have to load any SATA driver upon reloading XP. It was a Dell and didn't need any SATA driver.

So, you would only be correct if the driver suddenly changed on an existing installation of Windows, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

It was interesting - you would hear the hard drive clicking and booting and then there was one final click and the blue screen came up.

I replaced the hard drive - not because I could find anything wrong with it, but because the woman wanted to make sure that she got all her data.

It was only a reference...

I had a problem once, similar to this, where the BIOS (SATA) did not match the driver, and I could not access the drive until I downgraded the BIOS once again, on that same PC a newer driver caused the SiL SATA controller to loose all drives attached to it, turned out that Windows update was at fault, customer thought that it could not hurt...

Ben

I'll mark it down as an unknown root cause. I'm not buying your explanation, but neither am I poo-pooing it. It's just not conclusive.

Like I said, it is A possibility, not necessarily the cause or the root of the problem...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back