Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen on Power up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColmR

Technical User
Aug 25, 2004
IE
Hi,
I recently have this problem whereby on Power-up windows appears to be loading and then goes into a blue screen with text that is displayed for only 1 or 2 seconds. It then returns to a screen you would see if the system starts after an incorrect shut down. There are a number of options on the screen to startup, Safe Mode, Normal Start up, Start from last known configuration etc but they all fail to start the PC. I have a Compaq 5372EA PC that was running fine to this point.
Help,
ColmR

if you can catch what the Error code is, that would be most helpful in determining what is causing the BSOD...

if you can't get into safe mode, then most likely it is hardware related, though it could be corruption of the File System...

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

skip the install part and go straight to the usage:

there type CHKDSK /R

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks BadBigBen for replying.
What seems to be displayed is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA whatever that means. Unfortunatly I don't have the original setup disks for XP. The PC is over 5 years old and I'm afraid I'm not the best at keeping things. Not sure can I get a replacement at this stage. One of my buddies has a copy, will any XP disk do or must it be the same one that was used for installing the OS originally.
ColmR

Any XP boot disk should theoretically work...
I say theoretically because I've seen Dell OEM disks fail on boot in non-Dell machines due to it NOT being Dell equiment...

My experience tells me, though, that to get to the Setup Recovery Console, any other XP install disk works...

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

usually indicates a bad driver... though I've seen this error also happen when the RAM (as mentioned by Freestone) is damaged...

so I would definitely do a MemTest first...

Memtest 86+

Ben

Found an XP Disk and booted from the CD ROM. Went to Recovery mode, there it asked me for which installation. There is one 1 available so I typed 1and press entered. The display went straight back to the Blue Screen. Any thoughts? Once again thank you all for the helpful hints so far.
ColmR

If it is blue-screening at the repair, I'd guess that it's one of two things:
1. Some hardware gone bad - either memory or maybe the hard drive
2. Incompatible hardware altogether.

Did you make ANY changes to the system prior to this occurring that you can remember?

Also, have you tried choosing "last known working configuration" or "safe mode"?

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

When you are starting your PC, Hit F8 repeatedly until a boot options menu pops up. Choose the option "Disable Automatic Restart at System Failure" or something close to that. I cannot remember the exact words off hand. Anyways, once you do that, it will keep the blue screen on and let you copy down the error code.

There are 3 basic things you will need to write down:

The STOP: code (Usually appears as STOP: 000000x0000007E (0000x000000))

Any specific files mentions, such as "An error in file sample.sys"

And the ALL CAPS message at the top which you have already provided.

The STOP code is usually what will lead us to the correct solution.

-surgeVel

Try running a memory test as has been suggested. Analyzing a STOP error is useless if your hardware is at fault.

A STOP error is most definitely NOT useless. STOP errors point to many hardware issues including memory. I have found solutions to many hardware issues just by researching a STOP code, so I think you should readjust your views.

-surgeVel

I won't belabor the point, but if memory is faulty, any STOP error resulting from it may at best be a red-herring. Spending the few minutes required to burn a CD and running a memory test may save many false trails. But then again, to each their own.

I still think you are basing this off of lack of experience with the STOP codes. Any time I encounter one, it takes me 30 seconds to find a solution online and I can usually implement it just as quickly, very successfully.

STOP codes also tell much more hardware errors than memory, so while Memtest is a great tool, it will only help if his memory is bad. If it is some other unknown hardware issue, the STOP code is a very viable option for discovering the true source of such faulty hardware.

But since your view seems pretty unwavering, regardless of the facts, I digress.

-surgeVel

I hope I get this right. The Stop Error that is coming up is STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC7400000, 0x00000000, 0x80408DE8, 0x00000000) I search for this on Google and on the Microsoft site but could not find an exact match. If I remove the hard drive and put it into a 2nd pc and set it up as a slave drive to copy the files from it will I effect the second PC and 2 if I reinstall windows will it delete all the saved files on my hard drive. By the way there are 2 hard drives in the PC.
ColmR

ColmR - by moving the drive to another PC, you will not infect that PC... but to be on the save side, run a full sweep of AV and AntiMalware apps on that drive before you move data... and before you do those sweeps, run CHKDSK /F on it (from the CMD window) this will ensure that integrity of the file system...

part 2 of your question about the loss of data if you install XP on it again... the answer is POSSIBLE... reason, I do not know if you would do a clean install or a repair install (installing over xp over itself) or a side by side install (installing a second XP along side of the original)...

but I would not do that until you ran that MEMTEST, to see if the memory is intact, and check that drive with the tools provided by the drives manufacturer, they can be found on the respected website... Reason: you have not found the cause of the STOP error yet... and anything you do could just cause it to return faster than you can say "Marmalade" twice...

Ben

On the discussion on STOP errors...yes they can be helpful but they also are quite useless with wonky hardware. Many times you will get the exact same STOP error for two non-related problems.

I have seen the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA fault result from bad RAM before...all Freestone was saying was "run the test, what harm could it do?" and I agree with him. Also trial-and-error by removing RAM sticks is a proven way to troubleshoot the problem.

The fact that the STOP error occurs before bootup screams hardware. A RAM test is a quite appropriate in this case.

I have had STOP errors that, when pasted into Google or MS' site, came back with NO exact responses, so it's an imperfect science at best. It's just another tool in the kit, not the be-all and end-all to all problems.

And, surgeVel, you need to be more patient and fully listen to others...Freestone was not suggesting that all STOP messages were useless, just the ones produced by bad hardware, which is true. The OS has no clue why it can't do what it wants to do, and it starts throwing up random errors. I've had it happen before, 10 different STOP messages from a bad HDD.

Tek-Tips is not a competition, it's a learning and helping tool where we all try and get along, starting with respect for other members.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I did not mean to sound offending, it merely sounded from his use of words, that that is what he intended.

I was not saying that STOP codes were the absolute best option for resolving all problems, just that they can and do help in many instances. I have used primarily STOP codes to solve many errors with RAM and HDD. Yes, it is still mostly trial and error, but by him and you saying that STOP errors are completely useless for hardware, is misleading. No they do not always work, but many times they do.

I have seen the 000000x000007E error so often and nearly every time it refers to bad RAM, so that is just one example of a STOP code solution relating to hardware that is much faster and still quite reliable in determining the fault.

-surgeVel

I have seen the x000007E error so often and nearly every time it refers to bad RAM
and I have seen this error many times and it was driver related...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back