Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue screen of death!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

poochie

Technical User
Dec 8, 2000
GB
Hello experts! I have received blue screen of death in KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. The last module (Driver) that was about to load when the BSOD occurred is NTDLL.DLL

Can anyone please tell me what this driver is used for?
How to solve this problem?

Or any other suggestions relating to this problem .
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows NT4 Service Pack 5.

Cheers

thats a pretty nasty .dll error to get, Its a really
important file and if its corrupt or missing then you
might need to reinstall NT.... Jay~
const_hole.gif

If its broken, just leave it and hope someone else fixs it!
~KeyTech

Hey KeyTECH, is it possible if you can tell me what this driver is about/does. All you have said is that it's a very nasty .dll And also should I reinstall The entire NT 4 or just aspects of it.

Well to tell you the truth I dont really know what the ntdll.ddl
file is for...all I know is that its a nasty error to get.
And if your lucky you can just try installing the service
pack if you get that far on your PC, or what I fear is that
you will have to reinstall the full NT...sorry! Jay~
const_hole.gif

If its broken, just leave it and hope someone else fixes it!
~KeyTech

I believe that NTDLL.DLL has to do with the Windows NT Kernel. But I am not sure, you could try downloading a Service pack which will update this DLL file. You could also try downloading it from somewhere, but I don't feel this is advisabler. I could email you a link to where to find this file. I will research more about this file, to find out exactly what it does if you would like me to.

If you cant get it to boot up, you can run a repair.
Did you create an ERD?

Try to reinstall NT SP5, assuming you can get to Windows. You should always reapply the service pack after installing software. Some software companies like to apply their own system files, but Microsoft doesn't always like that.

Remember, in a BSOD, the last driver listed is where the error was last reported - not where it originated!

Check the list of drivers, next time it happens, and see if you can spot a common link, ie

if there are 6-7 disk subsystem drivers listed, then it's likely that the issue arose in the oem version of the SCSI driver.

In my (limited) experience, it's very unlikely that you have an issue with the module ntdll.dll.

Applying a service pack may rectify the issue, however.

Good Luck!

What are codec drivers and where do I get them. I was given an older Pentium PC but no documentation or software. On startup, I get the message "New Device Found" and I try to install the devices. I get messages asking for the disk containing the "codec drivers". What do I need to do?

Talking goat

I guess my first posting was too offensive. Please for those of us who are here to learn, don't post useless comments on these discussion boards unless you accompany it with some type of helpful info or tip for those who need it. Theses discussion groups are here to help others with their problems , not bad mouth one OS or the other.

Thank You

Disregard that last post if you want to. The comment it was directed at has been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back