Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue screen of death related to CPU clock speed? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHibs

Technical User
Dec 29, 2002
GB
CPU: AMD athlon XP2000
MB: MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU MS-6380 Ver2.0
(

I installed W2k prof with a default bios setting for the CPU clock at 100Mhz and the system runs OK, but only recoginised the CPU as 1250.

Belatedly I realise that I should have changed the CPU speed to 133Mhz.

Upon rebooting and changing the bios setting for clock CPU to 133Mhz and rebooting yet again the CPU (AMD Athlon 2000 XP) was recognised (hurrah!). Unfortunately as the start up continued to W2K I got the blue S.O.D.

It is possible to temporarily fix the problem by resetting the speed back to 100Mhz again (with I presume a loss of true performance).

Eguy stated another thread that W2k 'wrote back' chip and driver settings.

Is a re-install with the Bios set to 133Mz required?

Any help is very welcome as this was my first self-build and confidence is running low after I also broke one processor. I am sorry if this message should have been posted in the hardware section but I thought other w2K users may have experienced the problem before.

Misterhibs

The BSOD wont be bacause the processor speed has changed, but is more likely because your CPU is overheating at the higher speed, or you memory isn't fast enough to cope.
Try setting the speed back, and if all works fine, one of the above is most likely the problem.
<< JOC >>

The BSOD appears to be CPU temperature independent. i.e. it crashes at exactly the same place in start up from a 'cold' boot or when it has been operating in 3D gaming at the previous 100MHz setting.

I have two DDR PC 2100 256 RAM(DIMM slot 1 and 2). I have removed both then evaluated each one seperately in the DIMM 1 slot during boot up and W2K start up. They are both from different manufacturers (not ideal I know) but neither of them individually solves the problem at 133Mhz. It is unlikely that both are not up to spec.

Any other thoughts? Please persevere with me! Thanks

Is your blue screen giving you a 0x0000007F? pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Hi pbxman

Thanks for chipping in.

The answer is no.
I get

xxxSTOP: 0x0000001e (oxc0000005,ox80064b7f,ox00000000,ox0x02119fc8)
K_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
XXX adDress 80064b7f BASE at 80062000, datestamp 3c989e09 - hal.dll

Some of caps may be wrong as I has to write it down in full.
My PC still functions fully at 100Mhz, including fast Quake III gaming setting so th error is consistantly reproduced when I reset the Bios to CPU clock 133 Hz.

Is this info any use? I am going to do a search this hal.dll that was at the end of the message.

Just a bit more info.

I have two 80GB IBM disks on a striped RAID array and I have check out the hal.dll issue.

the following article looks as though it may be relevant. Any comment?

The driver for my ACPI uniprocessor is 5.0.2183.1 and is date 14Nov99. Looks a bit old for windows 2000 so it is probably NT derived.

I don't know if pertinent/useful - but my motherboard seems a bit reluctant to run cpu/memory at full speed. Currently have XP1700+, but if I run it at 133mhz, it will boot, but then runs like treacle & won't restart. My board's got settings between 100-133 - running at 124 (next one down), its absolutely fine (can even use the 'overclocking' facility to get it back towards its proper speed. Shows as XP1600+). Previously running a Duron 800 on this board and had to slow the memory down to stop frequent blue screens (absolutely rock solid after this). So, assume my mobo is slightly under par - but is totally reliable once this taken into consideration. Perhaps yours is similar?

I'd say it's your AGP drivers for your videocard/or something Windows 2000 doesnt have a correct driver for. Maybe IDE or motherboard chipset drivers. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Further developments

Managed to start up PC from cold (10 C) very quickly, setting clock speed to 133MHz and it worked. I even started pushing the CPU by playing Quake III and program worked for about two minutes then crashed, but returned a very bright desktop. Other programs still worked but it was clear that some form of graphics issue had occured (maybe AGP drivers as pbxman sugessted). i am also going to try an overclock. I have taken it to 120Mhz and it appears to be stable for at least a few hours.

So two (three?) steps forward and one step back.

I have a ABIT Siluro GF4 4300 Ti graphics card and Iiyama Vision master Pro 454 monitor. Is there any reason why the card should fail after about two minutes heavy use. The temperature of mobo athlon CPU at point of crash was 46 degrees - not excessive by any means. I do not know any temperature parameters from my graphics card.

Thank you for all the comments so far. It really is a help to moving me along. I am already thinking of building another PC from scratch. I am sorry that this thread is in the Windows 200 section as it appears to be a hardware, not software, issue.

Just to let you know I finally resolved this issue by fitting a thermatake volcano 9 coolmod fan.

This resulted in cooler operation of the processor but the solution is probably related to the fact that the power supply of the new thermaltake fan was direct from the supply and it was not connected to the motherboard. This relieved the power draw from the motherboard circuit.

Please note that I had an Athlon 1800+ standard heatsink/fan fitted to an Athlon 2000 processor. This may have been the issue in the first place.

Whatever the reason (power/voltage issue or CPU temperature issue ) it is now stable at the 133 bus speed and I can highly recommend the thermaltake volcano 9. It is a bit noisy but really it drags the cpu temperature down and was very easy to fit by virtue that you can depress the attachment clips through hole in the aluminium cooling fins. Play safe an use a shim though.

Problem solved. Thank you everybody for your input . I learn't a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back