Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BLUE (BLACK) Screen of death 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybundles

Technical User
Nov 12, 2008
GB
Does anyone know the cause of this, or have experience of it, suggestions of where to trace?

New < 1 year old Vista Business PC, occasionally if I wander off tea break etc, when I come back, the screen has gone black no text/images/mouse visible, it's NOT the monitor because the screen though black is lit - if you get my drift, the pc will do nothing, needs a reboot.
I get no warning that I am aware of, and I don't seem to be able to find error logs for this.

No dodgy s/ware/games.

No loose h/ware no cooking smells, no idea!!

Thanks Johnny

Does it only do this when the machine is idle? Do you use third party ScreenSavers? Is it a problem with Power Saving options or Hibernation?

If it is only started recently perhaps System Restore may be of use to get back to before the problem.

You can try using Safe Mode and go and have a tea break and see if the problem occurs. Same check if you log on as another user in Normal Mode.

If you can't repeat the fault in Safe Mode try eliminating a few suspects from the lists of running processes.

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP (or Vista)

It seems to be when the screen is idle can't pin down a time length, and no I don't have any screensavers. I will try the other suggestions thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back