Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking the internet of workstations through Server....

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavoo

Programmer
Sep 15, 2001
HK
Hello there,
We are having Windows 2000 Server & have 20 + workstations which are Win98 SE & WIN ME platforms.
I want to block the internet browsing functions in some workstations to prevent the users surfing the net during office hours, but they should be able to send emails from their workstations.

Is there anyway we could block the internet functions of the workstations through WIN 2000 server??

Waiting for your reply..
Thanks.
Regards...........

Because your client machines aren't Windows 2000 or XP, you cannot use group policy's to prevent internet access. I think you would have to use a IAS server or firewall to prevent internet access to these computers.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Sorry that is slightly wrong you can use IEAK (Internet Explorer Admin kit) to enforce internet related policies.

limited to IE though you can set restriction to block Netscape or opera other ways

Good catch supatech...I didn't know that you could PUSH IEAK policies through Windows 2000 Active Directory GPO's. Thats a new one by me.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back