Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking specific fax calls while allowing voice calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjmt

Technical User
Feb 11, 2008
US
I'm trying to determine if there's a way to block specific fax calls from going out on the PRI trunks while allowing voice calls to the same number(s) to go out normally. Everything I have read on here deals with complete blockage of a number. SDRR DENY blocks all outbound calls to a specific number, not just faxes.

I need to block specific calls from a fax TIE line as well as specific analog lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

All that I can suggest is that you have two analogue 500 set ports with the same number. One is for the fax and the other is for the voice phone. Then use ncos barring to bar the fax TN.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. We occasionally get complaints that we kept someone up at night because a fax machine was dialing their home or cell phone number by mistake. They occasionally ask us to block our phone system from ever dialing their number again. For a normal business that wouldn't be a big deal but we are a hospital. As such, we don't want to block the number in case someone ever needs to reach the person in case of an accident or a friend of theirs is a patient trying to call them. That is why I'm trying to figure a way to block a fax call from calling them but still allowing normal voice calls to go out.

Here's a naughty method, and I am not positive it will work:

-Create a Flexible Feature Code for CPP (Code to Block your Caller ID)

-Create Pretranslation that inserts this code before dialing

-Add that XLST to all fax machines. Here is an example where a "9" is inserted. Just replace the 9 with the new CPP code:
-Now all your fax calls will go out Private and nobody will know it is your Hospital dialing. Other phones will be able to dial the customer without it looking private.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com World Famous!
--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back