Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLeo

MIS
Sep 24, 2001
US
I am incountering issues connecting (remote agent) to certain boxes in my IT area. I am wondering if there are tools/patches/blockers that these people could have installed to prevent SMS from utilizing the remote option on their computers. Has anyone come acrost this in the past?

Yeah, they probably can go through the registry of the machine to change the options. I know that for my server environment, I've made changes to the registry to disable the "ask for permission" during a remote control. So I can only assume, I can block remote control all together.

The best thing that you can do is LOCK the client settings through the SMS Site Administration Console. At least in this way, you will stop most of your users from making modifications. (On NT/2K machines, you can prevent the users from modifying the registry...9x, you can't)

-hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

AstroLeo,

When you say your IT area I assume you mean people in your IT group. If they have Administretor rights on the box they can just go in and stop and disable the SMS Remote Control Agent Service. Nothing you can really do to stop that.

If they are stopping the remote control service..Just run a SMS job to start it back up. Based on your hardware inventory you should be able to determine what services are running. If it is not running start it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back