Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Skype 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogradePAK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
CA
Hi,

I need to block people from using any kind of messenger software especially MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, Skype etc. What is the quickest and best way, any thrid party tool, firewall, etc. Please advise

the PC is a stand-alone desktop with Windows XP Professional FAT32 file system, Service Pack 1 and uses an analog dialup connection

There is no LAN whatsoever, it is just a plain simple computer

Install Zonealarm, and configure it so each app has to request permission to reach the internet, then when Yahoo, MSN and Skype request access, deny it.

You could also block the ports used by the apps.

Yahoo uses 5050
MSN uses 1863
AIM uses 5190

Don't quote me on those, but I think that's right.

Google lists of TCP/IP ports that messenging apps use and block the heck out of them.

Most IM clients are port-agile, and will switch ports if blocked - certainly Yahoo is and (I think) MSN too. They will switch to use port 80 (used for web browsing) if blocked.

If this is to be a shared PC, maybe the M$oft Shared Computer Toolkit may be of use - info here.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

If you're in on a Windows 2000 or better network, use group policy.

CISSP, MCT, MCSE2K/2K3, MCSA, CEH, Security+, Network+, CTT+, A+

I've been trying to block Skype on our network without success. Can Skype File Transfer be blocked separately?

Ski

You need some sort of deep packet inspection firewall if you have no control over the PC's. Fortinet works well and has signature detection for all sorts of applications. We have sucessfully killed off SKYPE, Yahoo Messenger and lots of P2P apps that masquerade over TCP Port 80. You do however need a subscription to update the signatures.

HTH

Andy

can you limit your users to restricted accounts? if so, then do that and edit your local security policy software restrictions policy, bloxing execution of that specified executeable and or anything in that specified directory. You can edit the policy by clicking start -- run -- type "gpedit.msc"
drill down to computer configuration - windows settings - security settings - software restriction policies - additional rules, and create rules pointing out either the hash of the specified exe to block no matter where it launches from, or point it to a specified directory, i.e. \program files\skype and disallow anything from launching from within that directory.

Another very simple way is to block the logon agents IP address frolm accessing the PC using a firewall (you get one free with Windows SP2 which you should really install).

I have to block access to MSN for the students at Suffolk College, this is done by blocking any access to the IP address of the main MSN logon agent (attained by pinging messenger.hotmail.com) which if you trust me is 65.54.239.210.

Block this IP address, and people can't logon to MSN at all, via any protocol.

The fun bit is if you block it while they're logged in, they stay logged in fine, but once they logout they can never get in again...

Also, if you're that worried about instant messaging you'll need to block things like:

messenger.microsoft.com

etc etc...which will be more difficult on a standalone.

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Firth
Network Infrastructure Officer

~If it's not broke, break it and LEARN~

I use to block it by going to run then to mics services but am not sure that will work on your machine

Good Luck

My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService

->>Edit
->>New
->>DWORD Value

In the Value name: TextBox type "PreventRun"
In the Value data: TextBox type "1"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back