Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking mail intended for old users of our domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pictron

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2001
GB
Hi I wonder if you anyone can help me. I am looking for a way to prevent mail being accepted by our mail server if it is for a non-existent member of our domain eg bobajbo@

Our messaging platform is Exchange 2000 sp1, upon a win2k Advanced server with sp2 and NAV corporate edition installed.

I have telnetted to other exchange 5.5 servers that refuse mail if they are for users that have no longer got mailboxes.

I am also looking for a way to implement reverse dns lookups so that the Exchange server does not place "unverified" in the email header, but instead actually refuses to accept that msg.

Any help on these matters and I will be VERY GRATEFUL.

Many Thanks.

One solution (it ain't elegant):

Your email administrator uses server side rules to reply to sender with an email called REMOVE.

This needs the email address set up so that the administrator can send as that person. But I couldn't think of a more useable way of doing it...

How do you refuse it in Exchange 5.5??? I keep getting notifications all the time for old users.....

Thanks

Drew

If your end of the day solution is to not have NDR's bouncing, I read this once (perhaps here?) that I thought was a great idea.

Create a DL, perhaps call it "Former Employees," or whatever; you can hide it if you like.

Then, for former employees' SMTP addresses that keep NDR'ing, when you remove it from the mailbox to be deleted or hidden, add that SMTP address to this DL as an additional SMTP address.

Don't put any members in this DL, and Exchange will happily deliver the mail addressed to FormerEmployee@domain.com to this DL, which will go to no one, but will not NDR.

Good luck.
aliciaJ

But surely you WANT NDR's to return to sender in the hope they'll get the message. (Pun intended).

With my method I am sending emails out to the sender hoping to remove the former employee from the mailing list rather than just accepting loads of emails.

OK, after reviewing EXACTLY what I want to achieve, I think Zelandakh your option sounds the best, as it gives more feedback. I'll try this later, I am more concerned with the second part of this question, which I dont seem able to resolve satisfactorily myself. Basically I want my reverse dns lookup system within exchange to prevent mail from entering the domain if it fails the lookup..... can this be done.

Many thanks guys for all your help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back