Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking incomig calls to modem lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwfw22

MIS
Feb 19, 2004
US
Hello,

I've been asked to restrict all of our modems to only have outgoing access to prevent close all the potential entry ways to our network. The only way that I have been able to achieve this was by changing the extension of the modem to one out of the DID range, but we have so many modems and have so many extensions assigned to other functions that it is not easily done. Does anyone know a fairly simple way of doing this? (changing the COR, or COS)

Thanks

We use COR's to restrict all of our modems. We have 3 specific COR's setup for modem use. One allows only outbound dialing, One allows only Inbound, and the last allows both inbound and outbound. We use the outbound COR for default and only change per request. It has worked really well for us.

I've been playing witht the COR but the modem keep answering. Is there a particular setting that I need to change?

The COR I use for modems has the "Called Party Restriction" set to "Termination" - which blocks the modem from receiving any calls.

try changing your called party restriction to public or inward on the first page.

I guess I only managed to block all traffic on these lines. I can block outgoing only, but have not been succesfull at blocking incoming only. Any suggestions?

Here is what needs to be set is the COR:

Calling Party Restriction: None
Called Party Resctriction to Manual

in the future any new modem lines should be NON DID numbers.

depending on how many modem lines you have now you could one by one change over to NON DIDs for them as well.

Its the best way. NON DID that is. in fact it is a MUST for moast financial institutions.

I've begun going this already, but is time consuming as we have many modems in the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back