Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Facebook website * HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRMS

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
US
Can someone tell me how to block a website on my home pc (Facebook). I was able to block myspace with the hostfile. I do not want to spend money. Please help.

There are many free AV- AS apps out there. SpywareBlaster will block websites as well as disabling any bug from changing your browser home page setings. Go to:

Grisoft also offers excellent AV, AS and AntiRootkit apps free at:

MS also has a very good (and free) app called Windows Defender. See for a review & download at:

Spybot Search & Destroy

and Avast (an AV app)

are 2 other apps to consider.

Just be sure to update on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

so, why not use the hostsfile to block Facebook?

Do you use a firewall?

If so, see if you can't block a range of IP addresses. Look up Facebook's range with samspade.org.

Thanks for your responses and suggestions. I used the host file, however the website still came up. My thought is that there may be multiple virtual IP addresses with I am not aware of for Facebook.

Try going to:

Click on Free Download-> Save (to Desktop or any other folder, I created a new folder called My Downloads so I'd always know where to go to install or delete them). Double click on the setup icon & follow the steps given and you're good to go. It's a small aggrevation in the beginning teaching your system what to allow in or out, but then all computers are a pain at some time or other. B-)

Hope this helps! Bob

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

With your blocking of myspace using the host file if you google myspace and click on a link from the results do you get to the website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back