Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking External SMTP Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

bolasete

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
US
i know this subject was discussed at length yesterday but I'm having a different problem that the one hungster was talking about.

i followed a few different sets of instructions on blocking external relay, however, each time i did it i blocked all mail being sent externally. Internally addressed mail worked but nothing else.

i tried two different things to filter.

1. in routing restrictions i set it to only do open relay for authenticated users

2. in routing restrictions i set it to only allow internal ip address range.

192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0

anyone have any ideas to what i'm doing wrong. i'm running exchange 5.5 in case that makes a difference.

Instead of setting accepted addresses in Routing Restrictions, leave no addresses there (as in that Threads 10-XXXXX we referred to) but add your internal range in the Protocols tab (Step #3 of that original thread.)

I do not have any POP3 clients, so when I stopped relaying I did not see any difference when I put addresses in the Protocols area or not. Perhaps this is why the thread's author had to have his IP range listed there...

Alex

alexit,

i did read that post about setting the ip's in the protocols tab. i had forgotten that. the issue is i dont' find a protocols tab. where is this tab - not inside connections - IMS. there is a protocols under the general exchanger server but there is not tab to add ip addresses in.

i'm running exchange 5.5 in case that helps.

thanx in advance.

The Protocol tab is in YourSite...Config...Protocols. There is a permissions tab where you can Accept/Reject by IP addresses.

Alex

i still couldn't find any permissions tab under protocols - although i don't see the smtp protocol even in the list of protocols - only imap and pop3 so that's seems strange to me.

anyway i was able to prevent open relay by requiring authentication and a range of ip addresses.

i found a site that runs test on your mail server to see if it is vulnerable to spam/hacks. mine looks OK now with the exception of the percent hack.

anyone know a way in exchange 5.5 to deal with this one.

bolasete,

when you go to the Yoursite > Configuration > Protocol, highlight the protocol and then go to File > Properties...
then second tap is Permissions

Hung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back