Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Broadcast Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

insightbill

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2003
US
i want to install a router between each of my buildings so that I can block broadcast traffic between the links.

do i have to actually setup routes or merely set the interfaces on the 1811 and then set my gateway on the pc's to point to the router?

you will have to configure some routes, either static or use a routing protol (rip, igrp etc)
you can also setup different vlans in your buildings, but those have to be terminated onto a L3 device.

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

if its just a single router, then no.. you don't need to add routes..

the router will see the segments as directly connected..

you would need to setup a default route on the router if you wanted to offer internet services.

BuckWeet

Well basically I have 5 buildings tied together via a wireless network. since it is only 10mb I dont want broadcast traffic to congest the wireless side.

the problem is that ONE of the bldgs has the firewall to the internet, dns server, Win2003 Domain controller and all buildings need to get to that share resource.

if the default gateway is the router inside the users building, how do i get the PCs to go through the router and then find the fireall at the one bldg?

Have you got 5 routers then?

Just give the PC's the ip address of the router as the default gateway and have simple static routes on each router telling them what is where and have a default route to the internet on that router.

Or just use RIP and a default routeon the internet router.

Their DNS will locate the Win servers, the routers just tell them how to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back