Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blocking access to the date/time windows interface 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxfito

Programmer
Sep 29, 2003
EC
Hi, maybe you can help me with this:
How to prevent the user from changing system date and time, by blocking access to the date/time windows interface on windows xp

XP Pro or Home?

Let me piggyback on carr's advice.

1. Use NTFS permissions and deny access to everyone but the Administrator to the file C:\Windows\System32timedate.cpl

This can be worked around by experienced users, but not very easily.

2. Use gpedit.msc to enable the Group Policy object to deny that right to users (other than Administrators) the ability to set the date/time

3. You can remove the clock from the task bar completely. Google this, as it is a well known registry edit.

4. In combination with Group Policy, you can remove everyone but the Administrator ACLs to the registry entries required to change date/time:
#1 is the easiest and in most situations effective.

In the XP Forum, do a keyword search, "date", and select a search option on the thread subject only. There are some quite clever suggestions posed to handle this problem.

Thanks carrr, i've tried renaming timedate.cpl but the archive appears again.
Would you please give me more information about TweakUI to try out.

Not sure what to really tell you other than the fact that TweakUI is a very useful powertool (Microsoft designed) that's been around for many versions. I make sure it's on machines that I work with as a habit. It essentially lets you "tweak" a lot of different areas on the machine. I'd advise you to download it and test it on a machine...get familiar with it. It's totally safe. However, you may also want to give serious consideration to the Group Policy solutions suggested by bcastner.

It matters whether this is XP Pro or Home.

If either, and the filestore is NTFS, setting registry control on the control panel applet will work. (If XP Home, you need to logon as Administator in Safe Mode).

While it can be worked around with the RUN service, or through the Control Panel, linney, myself and others have written a fairly comprehensive guide to killing user access to date/time in the XP forum.

Do a keyword search on "date" and click the button to search "subject lines".

If you apply all the security measure suggested in the links yo will discover, nobody but the Administrator will be able to set the date/time.

I should note that in the more benign cases of the fixes, it seemingly appears that a change is possible. But it is not persistent between logons. In the more extreme cases no change would be possible, even with XP Home.

Why would you want to restrict acess in the first place. i realize im not helping but im curoius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back