Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocking Access to Tables 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2004
GB
Hello.

I have locked a database to stop users accessing the database tables. The Shift by pass key has also been disabled. This leave them with an input form with no delete function.

I have discovered that you can still access these tables by making a LINK from another or new database.

Is there a way I can prevent this, but still give the users updating access to the tables?

Thanks in advance.
John

If you split the database to FE/BE then you can password protect the BE(back end) where the tables are and link them to your FE(front end). Then the users can't link the tables in another DB unless they know the password on the backend tables. HTH

I tried to have patience but it took to long! :) -DW

jadams0173

Cheers for your responce.

That was the very method I tried. When a user tried to access the FE they get a VB msgbox "Invalid password". This dosnt let then even access the tables in the BE.

The BE can be locked in the same way, (disable by pass key ect) but that dosnt stop them accessing the BE tables via a linked table.

You don't give the users the backend password. Only the frontend has the backend password. The users have the front end password...

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

If you placed Usys in front of your table names, eg. employeetable becomes Usysemployeetable, then it hides the table and they can't even see it if they try a link.
Of course, you must change the table name in all the queries, forms, reports, that use it. So you need to pre-plan this.

Set the attributes of all the objects to 'Hidden', they wont be able to see the objects if they try to import or link to them

"My God! It's full of stars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back