Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocked email attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

spddmon

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
US
Not sure where to post this, but here it goes.
I have a small business server win2000, all networked pc's are windows 98, 2 pc's have windows xp with office 2002 installed.
All machines get any email attachment(by choice), not a good idea, I know. But the XP machines, outlook does not allow any attachment with .exe, .bat and almost all extensions to show up. I checked level 1 and level 2, all extensions seem to be under level 1, nothing under level 2.
Where is this blockage comming from, winXP, exchange 2000, or office 2002? and how can I allow certain extensions to be viewed on outlook 2002?
I can't seem to find where to change these settings, I know very little about this whole microsoft thing and I hate it so much %-)

I'm not sure of the specifics but the problem is with Outlook 2002. I read something about the security that was added to Outlook 2002 ... the same can be applied to Outlook 2000 if you install the correct updates.

Sorry I can be of more help.

I'm not sure of the specifics but the problem is with Outlook 2002. I read something about the security that was added to Outlook 2002 ... the same can be applied to Outlook 2000 if you install the correct updates.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks. I am Still trying to find a way to reverse that. I must be able to view these ".exe" attachments.AAARRRGGGHHH

It is outlook 2002. Either use Outlook 97 or send the message to a web-based email provider and save the attachment to your computer.

Scott

Another way around this issue is to have the attachments zipped by the user trying to send them using a program like WinZip.

We have a similar setup and this is how we get around it.

We do this too you can zip up any file extensions that won't come through great secruity hey!

Yes, zipping the .exe files is a work around but its not actually fixing the problem. In fact you could be opening another can of worms. Viruses are notoriously sent via zip files. So unless you're exchange server and desktops have a solid (global/enterprise) anti-virus scheme, i'd suggest fixing the problem directly. i'm sure if you look hard enuff you could figure out a fix, try the registry...

...the higher the fewer...

you could also be in the situation where your virus software looks inside zip files. Mine does and it will then delete the .exe file from inside the zip file.

Merge this into the registry of the machines:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security]
"Level1Remove"="exe;mdb;url"
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Change the list of extentions to suite your needs.

If you prefer a gui option look for a plugin called "Attachment Options"

Hope this helps. [smurf]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back