Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocked Drive on bootup after server came down hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

curran

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
I have an IBM xseries 225 server that stopped on boot prompt for a blocked drive. Actually it had been brought down hard when The UPS it was connected to failed to Shut it down Gracefully.
When server powered up it had the a message similar to this,

drive blocked
Press F4 to fix and continue
Fress F5 to continue
I pressed F4 and server booted fine.

Can anyone tell me why I got this message. Everything I read so far indicates that drive blockeing only occurs when a drive is being rebuit.

Could someone plz give me a good expalnation of this??

Thanks In Advance!!!

More than likely, the power went off when the RAID card had write data in its cache and stayed off long enough for the cards cache battery to run out of juice. When this happens, the contents of the cache is lost and not written to the drives and the firmware will block any logical drive in write back mode until a the customer hits the key saying fix and continue. This is to insure that you know that such a thing happened and that you data may be suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back