Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block websites for all users except 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog40

Programmer
Oct 25, 2006
US
I need to be able to block some users from accessing websites, while allowing 1 user full access. I went to Internet, Tools, Connections, LAN settings, checked Use Proxy, Advance, in the HTTP: block I typed blockdomains, 80, checked use same proxy for all, went to Exceptions and typed in a URL that I want these users to have access to.

On XP Pro, everything was blocked out including my exception.

On Win7, nothing was blocked out.

I actually had a problem with the system saving all of my settings. It would save the HTTP: settings, but not the exceptions, or it would save the exception and not the HTTP settings.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Just go to and setup a account. Then activate it from the e-mail you get from a computer on that network. Then change the DNS settings to point at opendns. You can also spy and see where everone is going :)

Oh, and yes its free..

Just leave the dns settings alone for the 1 computer you dont want to Manage/block internet.

You can even put a pic on the blocked page.. Like your picture saying GOTCHA!!!!

See your Windows 7 question too.

Block websites from all but 1 user
thread1726-1597316

Are the users all on the same PC, or one computer per PC, or what is the setup?

If it's for home/personal use, you can do something like this for added protection:

1. The OpenDNS account, then use the DNS server settings at the router level - this way, there's no way getting around it on your network. And I believe that many routers have settings for control on a per machine basis, you can try looking at your router's manual.

2. K9 Web protection by BlueCoat works very well as well. It's free software, and runs per computer. So if all the users were on one PC, it may be more headache than you prefer to deal with, but it runs with practically no resource usage, works VERY well, and doesn't require much at all from a technical standpoint... just basic installation, options setting, etc.

I can't say for OpenDNS, but if you use general rules in K9, you will likely end up spending some time tweaking, if you want to allow something like YouTube videos.

This is what I finally ended up doing.
1.) I created a dummy domain in the Proxy Server in the Tools>IE Options>Connections tab.
2.) In the exceptions box, I typed in the website that the employee was allowed to access. It was also necessary to type in any links if they were needed.
3.) For the employees to access their email, I needed to type in that link also.
Note: For these links, I unchecked the Proxy Server box (to close it temporarily), then I went to the links that the employee needed to access, copied the link, then checked the Proxy Server box again (to activate it), and pasted the link in the Exceptions box.

I also needed to give the employee Administrative Rights in order to set up the dummy proxy. Once everything was in place and working, I then put the employee back on Standard User. (Putting the employee on Standard User is optional).

There were several users on 1 pc. Only the employee(s) that were set up with the Dummy Proxy were affected. The other users that were not set up with the Dummy Proxy still had full access to the Internet.

This worked for me. I hope it doesn't sound too confusing.
I went to this website for detailed instructions:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back