Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block incoming to extension (Merlin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Safari

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2016
US
Hello,

We have a Merlin Magix 3.0 phone system. We need to block incoming and outgoing calls for certain extensions. Meaning, they can only call internal extensions, and they can only receive internal calls. I figured out how to block an external call by setting the ARS for an extension to 1. What I can't seem to do is prevent an external call from getting through to an extension. I have both the WinSPM program, as well as Messaging Administration program (in case there's a hack-ish way of using the voicemail system for this purpose). Anyone have any ideas? We do need to make sure that the extension is accessible internally and can still page. It wasn't stated by my management, but I assume that 911 calls should still be allowed.

(editted to include "Merlin" in the subject line)

How do they get to the extension in the first place?

Are they routed there by someone dialing the extension number from an Auto Attendant?

If so, you may have to change the Extension Number and not allow DIALING to the STARTING DIGIT from the Auto Attendant.

That is, if the extension is 234 and the Menu Choice of 2 in the Auto Attendant is set for "DIRECT EXTENSION TRANSFER", then you would want to change it from 234 to say 534 or something that the AA can't transfer too.

BTW, another way to prevent outgoing calls is with RESTRICTIONS.

With Merlin Messaging, you can set Transfer Restrictions to ON, and NOT create a mailbox or transfer only permission for the extension - callers can not get there from the automated attendant or with *8 and extension number.

If the calls are being answered live and transferred to the extension, perhaps you could put in in DND or forward it to another extension, or the Operator, or cover it to VM on one ring and create an AA mailbox for it (and set the phone status to NO phone, calls from the AA to the extension number revert to the AA without ringing the phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back