Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block Exchange 2003 from sending emails to internal users

Status
Not open for further replies.

stergiosnik

Technical User
Sep 19, 2007
GR
Hello All.

Recently we moved to Google Apps so our mail domain is hosted on Google Apps now.

The problem I have is that when I configure my Outlook client to use as outgoing server the old Exchange 2003 server for sending emails (ie. 192.168.10.x) then whenever I try to send an email to my Google App account then the Exchange server does not send it to my Google App account but it delivers it locally in the Exchange 2003 store. This occurs because prior the Google App migration my mail account was served by the Exchange 2003.

So, I never receive the message in Google Apps because it is always stored internally in Exchange.

For some reason the exchange 2003 server does not ask the DNS for finding the Google Apps server but instead it decides to deliver it internally.

How can I block Exchange 2003 so that it does not deliver the message internally but to send it to Google Apps?

Thank you in advance.

Stergios

You need to do two things:

1) Mail disable any user account that now lives on GoogleApps so that it no longer has a local mailbox.
2) In your recipient policy you need to set the policy so that the local server is NOT authoritative for mail delivery. That way it will look for a local mailbox for a user, but not finding one, it will forward it out to the internet for delivery, which is what you want.

If you try and send mail to a user that still has a local mailbox, it will always deliver it to the local account instead of the GoogleApp account, which is why you need to remove the local mailboxes. You can't maintain both local and remote mailboxes unless you make their SMTP addresses different.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back