Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block all IP's/MAC's except what I specify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakobud

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
US
I have Windows 2000 Server running on a machine on our LAN. There are only certain computers on the LAN that I want to give access to this server in order to regulate bandwidth and stuff. So I want to basically block all computers except the ones I specify.

Well at first I tried to just load on BlackICE Defender on the server and just manually put in the trusted IP address's and block everyone else. But soon after, I realized that everyone's IP address's change every now and then because of the network DHCP.

So what I need to do is figure out someway to specify either 'trusted computer names' or 'trusted MAC addresses'. And I don't know what software to use for this application. Is there anything like this built into Win2kServer?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Going with the trusted MAC addresses route seems like it would be the best, but I just don't know how. Is there some sort of "hosts" file or something that I can use for this application? Or is there a firewall program that blocks/accepts via MAC addresses?

Is there some sort of "hosts" file or something that I can use for this application?
You could do that. Put the IP of the server on the hosts file of the clients you don't want to access the server, and have the hosts file point that IP address to somebogusaddress.com. That way, the ip would point to the wrong spot, or put 127.0.0.1 point to the server. The clients would never see the server. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Well in my company we have about 5000 computers and I only want to give about 20 computers access to this one server. I don't think I want to do that hostfile thing for 4980 computers...

Is there NO software that block's computers based off of their MAC address??? Come on

You can setup DHCP to assign a reserved address to the mac addresses you specify. Also you can use ipsec to allow only the 20 access.... You can also set up a certificate system between the 20 and the server.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back