Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blob Field - Work around to calculate on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belky

Programmer
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi All,
I have two fields, Comments and Contractor Comments. Now The first field is a blob field and hence does not show up in the equation editor. The second is simply a text field (length 80). No I wish to have a calculation or something as to which is one of these is null (or blank) then display the other field. ie if IsNull(Comments) then Contractor Comments. I also wish to have the Contractor Comments turn red if it is used.
Would anyone know how I could use a work around to achieve what I wish to achieve above? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance .
Belinda

You can use isnull({MyTable.MyBlob}) against a blob, so something like this should work:

If isnull({MyTable.MyBlob}) then
{MyTable.MyText}
else
{MyTable.MyBlob}

Now go into the font color formatting formula (right click the field->Font->X-2 next to color) and place something like:

If isnull({MyTable.MyBlob}) then
crred
else
crblack

-k

kai@informeddatadecisions.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back