Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blending

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavvySimon

Technical User
Jun 3, 2004
CA
Hi... my first time using this forum. Before anything else I would like to express my sincere appreciation and thanks for those people who so generously give of their time to help and experience to help out others.

I am using Photoshop 7 but I do have CS as well if the solution requires some features from there. My question is one that will seem easy once I know the answer no doubt. I am trying to blend the image within an oval into the rest of the background. I have flattened the oval layer into the background so that there is only one layer. I'd like a one or two hundred pixel bleed area all around and centered on the ovals edge that would evenly blend one into the other.

Thanks again.

Try this...Get your oval picture back on another layer...then select just the oval...go to "Select>Feather" and plugin a number...try 20 pixels...click ok and then select "inverse" so that everything but the oval is selected...then hit your delete key several times until the hard line of the oval is gone ...now the oval picture is blended into the back ground and you can flatten it again.

You might have to play around with the feather pixels to get it just how you want but this I believe should work...I hope it is what you are looking for.

Tony Perkins

I always use a layer mask for this type of thing.

Place your full image on it's own layer. Select Layer>Add Layer Mask>Reveal All. You will notice in the layers pallette you will now have a blank mask.

Draw your oval (recommend oval selection tool for this task) as you want it on the page then Select>Inverse.

Press "d" on the keyboard to set default colors (black and white) and then fill the selected area with black. Poof... the area around your oval is gone.

To accomplish the blended look goto Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur. Change the setting until you get the desired effect.

Note: To stop editing the mask and start editing the image or vice versa just click on their thumbnails in the layers pallette.

Hope it helps!

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Thanks for the help. Both suggestions are effective. I'm really enjoying the learning process for this program. Hopefully, soon I'll be giving advice back in.

There are many ways to accomplish just about any task in Photoshop. It's one of the coolest things about the program.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back