Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blending photo edge to white background 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo

Programmer
Aug 22, 2001
US
I have a series of photos b/w and color. All have a distinct edge. I created a white canvas whose width is longer then the photo. The photo will be left justified on the canvas. I wanted to blend in the right edge of the photo onto the white canvas so the photo edge disappears. Any tutorials or tips would be great.

I tried one online tutorial using two photos, one on each layer, then using the marque tool to select the blending area, then feathering it? Didn't seem to work. I am using Photoshop 7. I also have Fireworks MX 2004.

If you just need the edge to go to white and there is no image underneath, then simply use a large airbrush and paint over the edges in white.

Alternately, make a selection and use the gradient fill to apply a fill of white -> transparent in a selection over the edges of the image.

Or
Use feather (I don't understand why it didn't work for you, I think you may have done it wrong).
Draw a marquee over your image, with the edge of the marquee in roughly the middle of where you want the transition from image to white to be. Select Feather and a suitable number of pixels in the box (trial and error). Invert your selection, then either delete or fill the area with white.

Or use a layer mask any of the techniques above.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

Ya, I haven't worked with Photoshop in a long time and I'm sure I did the tuturial wrong. With the feathering I don't think I inverted anything so that may be the problem. Nonetheless, I am going to try out both. Thanks again for you help. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back