Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blending edges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaikh01

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
GB
how do i blend part of an image into another in such a way that both images are still viewable. I know about opacity but this affects the whole image. i also tried blending the edge using the layer mask and gradient tool but i want to retain original image. can anyone help. thanks.

A good question is half of knowledge

Could you point us to an example of what you mean? I would have thought that layer mask & gradient would be what you needed. If you want the two images to be seen completely, then they can't overlap, which means there's nothing to create a blend from.

Normally you would enlarge the canvas and put the two images on different layers with some overlap. They don't have to overlap completely, but just enough to allow the gradient layer mask to blend them.

If this overlap is still too much for you, you'll need to leave a gap between the two images and fill it. You could use the rubber stamp to extend the edge of both images until they do overlap, then apply the layer mask on the top layer.

Try layer mask and Gaussian blur. Add the layer mask where you want the images to merge, and then apply the Gaussian blur to the mask to blend the edges.

Hope it helps.

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

If I remember correctly, there should be something like a 'gradient opacity' tool?

If that doesn't exist, try using the opacity brush and then brush over the edges of the first and second image separately and combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back