Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blaster & then some....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate1749

Programmer
Nov 1, 2002
US
I have two partitions, one is for os, other is for storage. I additionally have another hd in the cpu, but it's not even formatted so...

I cleaned myself from blaster by using symantec's removal tool. I did a fresh install on the main partition (windows 2000) where after having a restart I ran the removal tool again (on a storage partition) where it then found nothing, so cleaned nothing... restarted again, did another search and during this search it restarted again, then finally after booting again it finished a search and it found it and succesfully removed it... again?? I havn't taken it online and it's not on a network since I formatted it, so I'm guessing either it's trickier than symantec's tool (1.0.4) thought, or it's something else.

Additionally I came back to the computer shortly after (30 minutes) it found and rid itself of blaster (for the 2nd time?), but nothing would display on the monitor. I powered it off, turn it back on and met the blue screen from w2k. Turned it off again, turned it back on, and now I receive absolutly no display what so ever (no opening bios screen, nothing). Waited 15 minutes after turning it off, tried to turn it back on again, still no display... the lights light up and fans go, but it's obviously not going through normally process because it doesn't beep nor try to read other drives that come 1st in boot order. Plugged monitor into laptop, works fine, plugged another video card from a working computer into problem one, same result (still no display).

I have no idea what to do, and I'm kind of paralyzed since currently I can't even get anything on the monitor. I only needed to burn 2 cds from the storage partition, one is already done so hopefully I will somehow get 15 working minutes in w2k... After that I think I will just burn this computer!

-Nate

You might try booting to the Win2k CD and choosing to Repair an existing installation.... Or you can always slave the drives into another machine to try and get your data back out...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back