Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank screen on Terminal Service Login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2002
US
Occasionally some of my servers respond to a TS request with the normal TS popup window but the window is empty. There is no "Log on to Windows" prompt where you would enter your login information, just the normal Windows desktop background. I origionally thought that the connection was just running slow but no matter how long I wait the Login prompt does not pop up. If you open the TS manager and check out the server there is a dead connection showing that will not allow you to reset it and will not disappear even if you reset the RDP-Tcp listener. The only thing that all of these systems with the problem seem to share in common is that they run Arcserve but stopping this service doesn't seem to help. The problem is usually resolved by rebooting the system. Has anyone run into this before?

I've seen this with remote access programs such as PCanywhere and Remote Administrator but only when the workstation is locked. Typically instead of rebooting the machine I force a logon dialogue box by sending a 'log off' command (if the workstatiion is locked). I've never had it happen with an unlocked workstation though.

I never figured out what the problem was that cause this error, but I haven't had it happen since installing SP3.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back