Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank screen before boot, even the bios screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

billwrs

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
US
I have an ms-6167 amd slot A motherboard with agp 2x. A hercules 3d prophet 2 gts 64mb video card. I have an internal ide imation super disk drive. Every once in a while(about once a week) the computer starts with a blank screen before everything, video card info and bios, and the disk drive light stays on. I have no irq problems in win 2k or 98( duel boot). I am at a lose, it's almost like the video card doesn't initalize. Thanks in advance.

Bill

How do you resolve this problem in order to get the computer to boot up? Restart, ..., etc?
Have you tried reseating the video card, memory, cpu, and power supply connector?
I need more info.
Could be an intermittent bad connection to one of these components. Check it out thoroughly.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

I have come accross this a few times myself.
I usually find that replacing the video card with a very cheap standard PCI card can help in eliminating it from the many components that can cause this problem.

It could be that you PSU is on the way out?!
Are all power saving settings disabled?
Bad installation of motherboard?
Loose screw or paperclip inside the PC! (I have seen it!)
Clogged with dust?
Faulty case?

I could go on and on as it could be any part of the PC really. Just try the obvious things first like re-seating the components (CPU, cards, etc) Then maybe try removing cards like Sound, Network, etc.

The the video card thing usually is the first point in helping you fathom out what is going on. From there try building the PC on the desk without it being mounted in the case.

Good Luck
You have a tricky problem there.

check thats its not your monitor on the blink, or the cable at the back of it isint loose. Does the monitor 'recognise' the PC when you boot...ie you hear it come out of standby mode?? Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back