Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank / Missing Subforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

AssassinUK

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
GB
Hi

I'm trying to create an application using MS Access using an existing database, but I've suddenly hit on a problem where the main forms, subforms are dissappearing when there is no data and I haven't a clue how I've managed to mess it up.

I have four subtables all linked with 1-many relationships to the main master table.

The master form contains mini forms of the other four tables, allowing the user to see if there is any additional data, they can then click on the SHOW DETAILS button to open the subform up in full view to display all of its data. When I started setting up the DB I had the subforms displaying all the time, empty fields where shown when there was no data matching the main forms primary key. I also had an ADD button on the main form to allow the user to enter new information. This was working fine until a couple of days ago.

Over the last few days something has changed and now the subforms just appear blank (no fields) when there is no data in the subtables. The forms only appearing when there is data. The problem now is the forms look a mess and when clicking ADD you can't add data to the subforms as the form is missing. When viewing the main form you now just get a grey box the size of the missing form, until a matching record is found when the form does appear. I can see the structure of the form in the grey box but without any field boxes. Just the headings show.

I'm using Windows 2000 & Office 2000

Anyone any ideas what I've messed up and why its only just started doing this, and more importantly how to fix it ?

Hi!

I have a similar problem, have you managed to resolve it?

Many thanks.
Justine

The Subform problem on mine seemed to be due to Allow Additions getting set off, this seems to be related to the Allow Edits on the main form being set to NO which seems to cascades down and turns off Allow Additions etc on the subforms.

I'm having this same problem. The subforms are just blank when there is no data. Has anyone resolved this yet? Thanks.

Have a similar problem, so I'm adding mine to this. Hopefully it will be the "missing clue" to solving the problem.

Access database, forms on one terminal, data on SQL Server 2000 using ODBC to link to tables. System works fine, then a subform shows with no data, although the table contains >3000 records. Table datasheet view is ok, but no views in subform show anything but one record. When I make a copy of the subform, same problem. When I create a new form based on same table, data appears. No filters or other criteria. Same properties for both working and non-working subform. No modules.
Note: I didn't create this database, although I have seen it happen on other databases a different clients.

Time flies when you don't know what you're doing...

As I mentioned above, I solved mine, it was a problem with the main form having Allow Additions set to off.

As the sub forms should sometimes have had no data the fact that the Allow Additions was off it didn't display the form for those records.

right clicking on the form / subform and setting the Allow Additions / Allow Edits to YES allowed the forms to be correctly displayed. I then just had to find where in the VB it had been getting turned off.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back