Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank lines on reports 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

driggels

Programmer
Jul 11, 2001
US
I have a report that has 3 large text fields on a report. I have selected that they "Can grow" and "Can shrink". The first record is quite long and each text field is 3 lines long. All records after that, even though most of the fields are shorter and in some cases blank, display 3 lines (some of which are blank) for each field in the report. It seems that the size of each field is determined (3 lines) and each record has 3 lines allocated for each of these fields even if there is no text in the field. What should I do to make sure that there are no blank lines displayed?

It might be that you have too much white space in your detail section. Make sure there isn't any space between the fields in the detail section and your page footer.

Linda Adams
Visit my web site for writing and Microsoft Word tips: Official web site for actor David Hedison:

If the detail is not the answer, try putting "Is Not Null" in the criteria of one of the specific fields that would eliminate the blank lines.

HTH Roy
aka BanditWk
Las Vegas, NV
roy@cccamerica.org
RLMBandit@aol.com (private)

Chack the CanShrink property for the details sections itself....you should probably set it to yes, allowing it to shrink when the data is short. "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."--Albert Einstein [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer

I'm having the same problem as was first mentioned. I changed the Detail Can Shrink property to yes and all the fields that can shrink have been changed accordingly, but I still get the blank lines where the fields used to be.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Sarah

I have figured out the problem and it had nothing to do with the report itself. The data on file for some fields was not blank as I had assumed. It was actually set to 602 spaces. When I trimmed the spaces off the data, the report looked as it should.

Thanks for the help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back