Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank Lines Memo Field 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

codrutza

Technical User
Mar 31, 2002
IE
Hi
Maybe you can help me with this.
I have in a report a memo field which has a blank line

Aaaaa

Bbbb
Ccccc

Can I suppress the blank line somehow?
Many thanks

Not exactly. You probably could use the replace command. I am assuming that there would be two carriage returns in a row. So something like this Replace({memofield},chr(13)+chr(13),chr(13)). I have not tried this.

I agree with kray4660's, in that it will work as long as the blank line arises because of consecutive chr(13) characters. The problem is it could also be due to consecutive chr(10) characters (and I think there are others that also have a similar affect), or even one of each. It could be further complicated by having 1 or more spaces between them. The only way to reliably deal with this is to first determine what is causing the blank line.

I am guessing that the data is being entered manually into the system by the users, in which case you will be dealing with wildly inconsistent approaches. Probably better to just accept the data the way it is and work on educating the users (good luck with that).

Cheers
Pete

I suppose you might be able to do a count of Chr(10) and/or Chr(13) and delete all the extra one. It probably would be pretty nasty code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back