Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

blank in a prompt... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I know that is possible to insert several prompts in a query, but then you are obliged to fill them all... Is it possible to give the opportunity to fill just the ones you want and leave the others?

Thanks.

Marek.

if you choose "matches pattern" you can put % in the choosen field to return all the values. So % can be the default value and the user is not oblige to give a value to the prompt.

ssibo, what do you mean with "matches pattern"? Where can I choose for this?

Serge

You could do something like this: Instead of leaving blank, the user could be instructed to leave 0 or -1 for numeric fields, and * or another thing for text fields. Then, the SQL condition should be written like:

@Prompt(...) = 0 OR TABLE.NUMERIC = @Prompt(...)

or

@Prompt(...) = '*' OR TABLE.TEXT = @Prompt(...)

This complicates the query a bit for the data base.

Hello Serge,

Matches Pattern is an operator very much like the 'LIKE' operator in most RDBMS. When you drag in an object in the conditions choose 'Matches Pattern' instead of 'Equal'.
If you fill in % every value will be accepted as a match,so it effectively rules it out as a condition. In the naming of the prompt it would be wise to point the user to the effect of just %, cause this will probably not be a known issue. T. Blom
Information analist
Shimano Europe
tbl@shimano-eu.com

I'm sure you've discussed this before but I'll throw it out. I'm new to the forum :-D.

You can also set up your prompts to translate '*' or 'ALL' or 'All', etc into a wildcard that selects all values...essentially ignoring the prompt. There is a faq answer at with syntax info.

If you combine that cool trick with a refresh on open, you can essentially accomplish the *ignore* without leaving the prompts blank and requiring no attention on the part of the user AND without presenting data to the user that he is not authorized to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back