Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank IE Window when opening link in Outlook (W2K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danieldutton

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have an annoying problem with MS Outlook which is directly related to the version of IE I am running. The details of my setup are:

O/S : Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4
Office : Microsoft Office 2000 Pro SP3
Outlook : Corporate with Exchange Server
Browser : Internet Explorer 6 SP1

If I recieve an email message with a link that uses the Outlook:// protocol (i.e. a link to public folders), an empty IE Window is opened before the actual link. To clarify, I click the link in the email, an IE window opens (the name of the link is in the address bar) and then it opens the link (in Outlook). I am left with a blank IE window that I have to close.

My research has revealed that the problem only occurs:

- if the link uses the Outlook:// protocol
- if the email is HTML (Content type)
- if IE 5.5+ is set as the default browser

If I set another browser to the default (in 'Set Program Access and Defaults'), the problem goes away. As long as IE is not the default browser, it works OK. Also, if I downgrade to IE5.0, the problem goes away (with IE 5.5 it is still there).

Has anyone else had this problem or something similar? I think it is a IE bug, but if anyone has a similar setup to mine as described, could you test to see if you have the problem as well?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel Dutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back