Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blank email message attachment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pluto1415

MIS
Apr 28, 2009
US
Last week (7/28) we applied a hub transport rule that appends a legal disclaimer to all emails that go outside our domain. Since then, at least 2 of our users have started having issues with our email faxing (Concord Fax). Currently the users open a .pdf in Acrobat, then choose File-Send Email. According to Concord, those emails have a small empty email attached to them. I can't see it if my users sends to my gmail, however it is keeping our faxes from going through. If I disable the hub transport rule, the faxes go through just fine. How do I stop it from adding the empty email as an attachment?

Depends on what the fallback option on the transport rule is. Take a look at the actions of the rule. It will say something like wrap, ignore, or reject. If it's set to reject, that could be your problem.

In my opinion, "ignore" is the best option. Reject will cause the message to not go through. "wrap" has some issues if your users are sending digitally signed messages because it wraps the message as an attachment to another.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

First - I forgot to mention we're on Exchange 2007

We currently have it as Wrap - that could be it. I'll change the settings and see.

OK, changing the wrap option to ignore made it work. Now I'd like to understand why.

Why did this only affect 2 of my 25 users? Exactly what does it mean that it was wrapping?

Wrapping is when it takes the original message and makes it an attachment to a new message (wrapping in a new message).

See what those users have as default options for new messages, like digitally signing or encrypting, etc.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

We don't have digital signatures or encryption here. I've looked at at least one of the users Outlook 2003 and I don't see anything different from my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back