Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry Vs Treo 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanks2112

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2004
US
Hello All

I have been asked to look in to rolling out Blackberry services, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Treo and its technologies. Primarily we would like to provide access to our Exchange server and it appears that Blackberry has the edge. Is anyone out there using Treo and Exchange? If so, how do you find it to be working?

Thanks!

Visit the following link...

It has the best coverage so far concerning the treo vs. blackberry debate. I, for one, have a problem with blackberry because it has no browser capabilities so far. Having said that, however, the email (especially with Verizon) is impecable. Moreover, if you plan to implement Exchange, you must use Blackberry's server agent. For more on that note go to...
As for Treo, the only thing about that is that it does not run on Windows Mobile OS while the Blackberry does. There's a little more administrative effort, therefore, on the Treo if you are not familiar with the Palm OS. Good points on the Treo (600): excellent web browsing functions, sleek design, and email reliability.

If I were you I'd implement the blackberry with the blackberry enterprise server. It's more secure.

I hope this helped. [pc3]

Thanks! Thats a big help and confirmed what I thought: Blackberry is superior in email but thats about it

We are using Treos with GoodLink software to provide a live link to our exchange server for helpdesk monitoring. We have our tasks, calendar, notes, and email linked to exchange and it is working for us. We have a GoodLink server that provides the link.

I manage several Exchange Servers, some using GoodLink, some using BlackBerry. I prefer GoodLink hands-down both from the user side, and from the sysadmin side. Most of my clients who use GoodLink receive email on their Treo's before it hits Outlook on their desktop. Additionally, GoodLink handles Public Folder Contacts and file attachments way better than BlackBerry. Management is much easier, though initial setup of the GoodLink Server is about as painful as setting up BlackBerry Enterprise. It should be noted that I dislike Palm. But I do advise people that the only reason to get a Palm is to get GoodLink.

Thanks for the reply Rockjockb, but doesn't GoodLink forward email to a server out on the internet? As opposed to Blackberry forwarding email to a server that you have control over?

Here's how I think it works:

Blackberry:

Exchange --> Blackberry Server --> Firewall --> Device

GoodLink:

Exchange --> Firewall --> Goodlink Server --> Device

Hi yanks2112. That is not correct. We use GoodLink and we are set up as Exchange --> GoodLink Server --> Firewall --> Device. We switched from BlackBerry to GoodLink back in 2001 and I like the GoodLink solution much better than BlackBerry (as rockjockb, mentions, both from the administrative side and from the end user side).

MSChiqui mentions that BlackBerry handhelds do not have browser capabilities, but I must point out that both the WAP Browser and the BlackBerry Browser are available on devices hooked to a corporate BES. I use the BBB almost daily.

Also, the server/network performance could be a factor in determining which solution is fastest between Goodlink and RIM, as my own BES users (64) here do receive mail on their handhelds before it reaches their Outlook inbox.

It's important that you find the solution that best fits your needs, based on as much informationas you can gather.

Good luck.

I support about 385 GoodLink users. I have found that GoodLink is just as fast (I personally think it's faster) in regards to delivering messages....but then again, I have not supported the BlackBerry product for about three years so I'm sure that RIM has addressed the latency issues that our BlackBerry users complained about.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. They were a big help. We have decided to go with Blackberry and due to the nature of our business, the IT dept. will not be purchasing the devices or the service. My question is can we have multiple service providers (Nextel, AT&T etc) using the same BES server?

Absolutely.

We use 4 different service providers (3 in Canada, 1 in US - ATT) on both GSM and 1X networks.

Everyone is hooked up with complete functions to our BES.

I think the blackberry is better... the talk about speed of email is BS. Both goodlink and BES use mapi to talk to the Exchange server, they both maintain connections to relays hosted by Good and RIM... the only difference is the encryption.

Whoever talked about Blackberry not having a browser, you don't know much do you... I have 3 broswers on mine... The WAP browser, the Rogers browser and the Blackberry browser (comes with MDS).

I run a little hosting company that does Exchange hosting with hosted BES/MDS and hosted Goodlink/GoodAccess... they both work almost equally well... but the blackberry is easier to use... I have more problems with my Good server dropping the connection to the SRP than I do the BES box...

Either way... if the choice was mine, I would go blackberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back