Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry Syncing Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

TH22

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2005
US
I have a question regarding the Blackberry 7100G. Hopefully you can provide some insight. I don’t have a Blackberry, so I can’t really test, but I manage a group with a few people that have them.

We have been hit with some pretty high bills on our wireless internet cards when traveling internationally. I’m looking to see if we can just replace all the wireless internet cards with Blackberries since in the long run, it would work out cheaper. However, the main reason for us using the wireless internet cards is so we can log onto the network, get on Outlook and use attachments in conjunction with email. For example, update Word Docs / Spreadsheets and send them out via email. You cant do this with the Blackberry.

[blue]
My question is… is the following possible:
1) Receive a Word Doc / Excel Xsheet on your Blackberry

2) Sync up your Blackberry with your laptop (laptop is not connected to the network, sync up using the USB port)

3) Through the sync process, transfer the email with the attachment from the Blackberry to the Laptop.

4) Once you have the email with attachment on the Laptop, access it while working offline in Outlook. You could then update the attachment, create a response email, attach the updated attachment to this email and save it in your drafts or outbox folder.

5) Sync the Blackberry and Laptop up again, this time transferring the new email and updated attachment to your Blackberry.

6) Now that the updated email and updated attachment are on the Blackberry, you can send it out to others via Blackberry email.
[/blue]

Is this possible?

Also, as far as the email part of Exchange, what does the Blackberry sync up with: Inbox, All folders, or only the folders you specify it to sync up with?

Thanks for your time.
Tim

Not to my knowledge.

I'd recommend getting VPN set up. Most places have broadband, or even local dialup numbers internationally.

Then you can get into wifi, hotel DSL, etc, then VPN into yoru network.

SnapGear makes some VERY affordable solutions.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back