Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BlackBerry Stops Receiving Messages - Server Reset Corrects It

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripleJHJO

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
I have two users in my organization that use Blackberrys. They receive their messages from Groupwise via POP3 and use the Blackberry Internet service. Most of the time they work just fine. From time to time they just stop receiving messages. They can send, but they do not receive.

After I reboot the Groupwise server, they again start receiving their messages. I don't see any errors or messages holding up process prior to the reboot.

The closest thing I can pinpoint this to is, one of the Blackberry users has over 500 messages in his inbox, both read and unread. When he reduces the number of messages, the system seems to not have a problem. Unfortunately, I cannot get the user to keep his message levels down.

Is there a threshold somewhere that is stopping the message relay from Groupwise when the user's mailbox is too full?

Thanks,
J. Jensen

I'd bet that pop3 connection is not supported by GW or BB. I know that a BB can't connect to Webaccess. I believe the only supported way is a BES with a GW connector (yes, I built one just for our Director).

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

The POP3 works. It just shuts down once in a while and I have to restart my Groupwise.

I've seen other people use POP3 from blackberry.. Also, POP3 is fully supported by Novell and 'should' work just fine regardless of the client. The fact that it fails over time makes me believe that maybe the threads are getting maxed out and never releasing.

What GroupWise version are you on? Which agent are you running POP3 from? GWIA or POA? What platform and version (Netware, Linux, Windows)?

I know that there were various issues with GW6.5 on POP3 and IMAP and each Service Pack and new release has made this more stable. Also, some people would argue that its better to use POP3 from the POA instead of the GWIA, since the GWIA is really just a Proxy and adds an extra level of complexity to the equation.

You should also turn on Verbose logging, make sure you have 30-60 days configured to retain log files, then watch the logs closely next time there is a problem and see whats happening.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

I am on Groupwise 6.0 the GWIA is using POP3 on a Netware 6.5 server. I can turn on verbose logging, but what should I be looking for?

J. Jensen

In ConsoleOne, look at the actual number of threads you are allocating to the POP3 process. The default number is 10.

Look at the GWIA screen on the NetWare server, then switch it it to the POP3 status screen. You can do this, (don't have one in front of me) by hitting F10, then F9 (F9 should toggle through various stat screens).

When you are having the problem, look at the thread count. You should see something like 0/10 or 10/0 or 5/5. The first number is the threads currently in use. the second number is the threads available. If you have 10/0, that means your system won't be able to process any new threads. That doesn't solve the problem but gives you a place to start.

In the log files, look for anything that looks 'abnormal'. how do you define that? Idunno. I'm thinking you should see something that could give a clue as to why its failing.

Unfortunately with GroupWise 6.0, its not supported or developed anymore and there could be known bugs with POP that have only been fixed on later versions.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I mispoke.. it doesn't show the threads like I said. It actually just lists the total threads and available threads, pretty straightforward. You should be able to easily tell if they are maxed out.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back