Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry Professional Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmoat

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some advice regarding our scenario:

We currently utilise Blackberry Enterprise Server SMB for GroupWise. We are moving to a new Exchange 2007 environment which is being built side-by-side ready for a 'big-bang' migration.

How would you advise I approach the installation of the new Blackberry Professional Software baring in mind that we already that the existing BES up and running. If I install the new version so that it is ready for go live evening will this cause any problems?

It is being installed on a new server 2003 build which will be a member server of the MS domain.

As you can gather I have a fundamental lack of understanding of exactly how the BES/B Pro functions!

Inbound email will not route to the new Exchange box until the migration weekend at which point it will simply be changed on the firewall. However I want this all up and ready to reduce work load at migration weekend.

I got it all installed and working on my test network at home but in the actual environment I have the added complication of the existing BES installation for GroupWise.

So in short: can I install the blackberry pro software and have it up and running on the current network whilst all users are still using the other blackberry for their GroupWise mail? Are there any conflicts that could be caused? I must add that the licenses will be totally different!

Much thanks!

I am by no means an expert in this either, only have done the install myself a few weeks ago. I see no issue with what you have setup. I'm not sure what your pocedures will have to be at the handset to redo the mail to your handset. My first guess would be run another enterprise activation once you add and generate your mail password from your BPS to activate you handset, but this might duplicate your mail on the handset unless you make sure that's handled in the profile settings to let the server "win" in a conflict.

You might want to get RIM support involved or at least post your question to the RIM forum as well in case you don't get a expert answer in this forum.

Pro has a limit of 30 following which you can get an unlock key to essentially upgrade to full enterprise server.

General consensus appears to be that so long as the SRP IDs are different - which they will be - then they can both be running in a production environment without conflicting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back