Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry phone hookup without Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement131

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
CA
i am looking at purchasing a blackberry unit. i have the need for a cel phone and i currently have a IPAQ 1710. That means i am carrying around 2 devices all the time. i would like to buy a blackberry unit but i do not need the data transmission. i have seen many of these for sale and they say NOT LOCKED. What does this mean and can these units be set up to only be used as a celphone or do you have to set them up with phone/data.

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

The blackberry will function as a cell phone and you can still use the added functions without having to be setup with data. If you setup your blackberry to be used as a phone as well as the organizer, just make sure the cellular service provider you are with has the data feature disabled on your cellular account.

I learned the hard way that blackberries will continually attempt to create a connection to data networks, and if the data feature is not disabled it will charge your cell bill for the use of the data minutes. I am currently using my blackberry as a phone and organizer and I have disabled the data feature with my cellular provider and everything is working fine.

The extra functions like e-mail and internet depends on if you have it setup with your service provider to be able to access them.

There was the question of the used blackberrys being listed as "not locked" What are they advertising ?

Remember: It's amazing what you can do when you don't know that you can't do it !

Hey,

They are not "locked" to a particular Cellular network.

You can put a SIM card from any service provider into it and it will work.

Cya,

Brett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back