Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blackberry handheld not connecting to data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nattylou

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2003
Hello all,

I am hoping one of you can help me with this epic.

We have a blackberry enterprise server here with 5 users. My blackberry handheld died and one of the other users offered me theirs as a temporary fix.

I logged in to enterprise server, killed her handheld, but did not remove her profile. Then I killed my old handheld and profile, put my sim card in her BlackBerry and plugged it into the USB port on the server. I then chose to add a user from the global address list, added myself, created the security keys and went away quite chuffed with myself.

The problem I have is that the blackberry now says "Data connection refused" on it's screen and I cannot get it to work in any way other than as a phone. I have tried repeating the above and variations of it but to no avail. I have also installed the desktop software in an attempt to rectify this with no luck.

Please can someone help?

Thanks

Nat

I had a problem similar to this one. The handheld was not provisioned by the service provider for the wireless data channel. Have you tried calling your service provider for troubleshooting?

-Nate

What the?

I do this about twice a week. We have about 1200+ users on BES 4.0.

I dont know what server you are using you should stat that. Anyways I think your way is overkill. Also why are you logging on to the enterprise server and syncing on the enterprise server. Use the mmc snap in and sync for a workstation with desktop manager installed.

1) remove that user you are taking the BB from the BES
2) insert your sim card into her BB.
3) assuming you use outlook and BES 4.0 log on to a workstation and install desktop manager.
4) connect your BB to the computer.
5) it will ask you "do you want to switch pins etc"
6) click yes
7) move your mouse around to create the encryption key
8) let is sync
9) all done

Now you have that error: "Data connection refused"
You may want to wipe the handheld clean and start from 1) about.

to wipe: go to options -> security-> wipe handheld or you could just reinstall the firmware.

hope it helps
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back