Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

black screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

catchem

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
GB
i am at my wits end,can anyone help me. I purchased one of the new geforce fx cards upon uninstallation of my previous drivers (geforce2)i installed new card and rebooted, it got as far as the windows Xp boot up and then went black, i tried a geforce ti4200 and the same happened agaon.
Running and athlon 1200, 256 ram.
Im getting desperate what is wrong and what can i do?

Try to boot the pc without the monitor attached and see how far it goes. If the light of the hard-disk activity stops blinking than attach your monitor and look where it's at.

Just went through this myself...last night. I am running XP Home on a 1.5 GHz Dell.
The video was integral to the Motherboard. If this is the case for you (or similar) then all you have to do is go into Control Panel, Display and disable your onboard video. When you reboot all will be well.
(also, the documentation says you have to be set to VGA mode to install, but that wasn't an issue) Your problem is most certainly conflict with the existing video.
Look on the advanced tab and peruse the settings until you find an option for disabling the <...> driver, where <...> is the current video driver. If you don't know that, take out the gforce card and boot up as before and look in settings to see which driver your were using.
hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back