Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Black screen after upgrade from ME to XP Home Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobis

Technical User
Jul 21, 2002
Hey guys. Could use some help here,I had a hard time upgrading from ME to XP home edition,I went through the advisor to find only minor programs and devices that weren't compatible,so before installing XP,I removed them to make it a smooth install. It wasn't Smooth at all. I have 2 40 gig HDs 1 master/1 slave I loaded XP on the Master at first and it wouldn't go through the entire setup without stalling.I get a black screen and lose my cursor. Then I thought maybe if I install it on the slave it will work but,now the install went through,but it will only work in safe mode w/networking. Also it won't accept my monitor(KDS)or let me load video Drivers for my (ATI)Radeon 7200 card despite hanging at the welcome screen. any advice as always is appreciated.

If you can try a clean install rather than an upgrade. All you need is the ME CD (as a Qualifying product) to clean install your XP upgrade version. The ME CD is asked for during Setup to check you qualify for the cheaper upgrade version of XP.

Read the check list in this article (and other links) as preparation and assisting with troubleshooting.

HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP(Q316639)

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP(Q293118)

310064 HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Setup Problems When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

His parallel install is essentially a "clean" install, and the fact that the machine will boot into Safe Mode indicates pretty strongly a video issue. My guess is that the DDR Ram on the video board is not up to XP standards and the Radeon board needs to be replaced. This is not an uncommon problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back