Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bizarre system issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbrews

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I have a recently built HPUX 11.11 server that is having some strange issues that I am having a hard time nailing down...

From some of my more resent systems: hpux 11.23, hpux 11.31, linux, windows 7 - I can telnet, ftp, ssh, traceroute to this recently built system without issue - so all appears to be working.

However, from an older hpux 11.11 system, I cannot do any of the above either to the new system of from the new system to the older system (and of course this is what I really need to do). Also note that the older system has no problems talking to any other servers.

There are no firewalls or such in the mix. What other things could possible cause this kind of behavior?

Add a little color to your PUTTY terminal: faq52-6627

Incorrect netmask perhaps? Are they all in the same subnet?

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

After doing some more looking around and testing, here is what has been found:

The system that is having issues is in the 10.50.16.* subnet. All of the systems that it can talk to - including my laptop - are in the 10.50.* range. Anything outside of this range fails - ssh: never get a login prompt; ftp: never get a login prompt; telnet: (bad I know, but cant remove at this time) gets a login prompt, but then stops responding.

The server IP, netmask and gateway have all been checked several times - they are displaying the correct values.

What's the output of netstat -rn and netstat -win (if you don't mind posting them)?

Annihilannic

for netstat -win - w is not a valid option...

From server that CAN traceroute to the far end
--> netstat -rn
Routing tables
Destination Gateway Flags Refs Interface Pmtu
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 0 lo0 4136
10.50.16.30 10.50.16.30 UH 0 lan1 4136
10.50.16.0 10.50.16.30 U 2 lan1 1500
127.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 U 0 lo0 0
default 10.50.16.1 UG 0 lan1 0

From the server that CANNOT traceoute back to the above
--> netstat -nr
Routing tables
Destination Gateway Flags Refs Interface Pmtu
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 0 lo0 4136
192.168.28.72 192.168.28.72 UH 0 lan1 4136
192.168.28.0 192.168.28.72 U 2 lan1 1500
127.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 U 0 lo0 0
default 192.168.28.10 UG 0 lan1 0

The top server (10.50.16.30) behaves very much like there is a route issue or a firewall of some sort in the way. However, I cannot identify any routing issues or firewalls. My network person is convinced the problem is on the server and is not all that interested in providing any further help - like setting up a sniffer to see whats going on or lack there of. While the problem may be on the server, not enough is known (yet) to rule anything out.

In that case netstat -in would suffice... but I'm not seeing anything that rings alarm bells so far.

Well, it's up to the network person to give you the correct network configuration to use. If your traffic is getting as far as the gateway that they've told you to point to, then the problem is definitely in their area; either something on their side is not working or they've given you incorrect information. Do the traceroutes stop at those gateways, or beyond them? If so... make him or her interested. :)

Annihilannic

traceroute from the 10.50.16.30 gets all the way thru. Traceroute from 192.168.28.72 gets to the external side of the gateway, but doesnt seem to be able to make the final transition to the host.

The problem may indeed by on the server side - but I've run out of ideas on what to check short of replacing the network card.

I'd say that'd be a wasted effort... the card seems to be functioning fine otherwise; it seems to be a purely "logical" issue rather than hardware.

Annihilannic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back