Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bizarre Issue When Using Napster Over A Wireless Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

burritonator

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2004
US
I just replaced my standard 4-port Linksys router with one of the Linksys routers that includes 4 wired ports plus wireless capability. The only wireless device that I am currently using is a notebook PC with a wireless adapter card. I am experiencing the following problem and I wanted to see if anyone could offer any assistance.

Most Internet applications work fine on the notebook over the wireless connection. As a matter of fact, the only application that I have had any trouble with is Napster. Here is what I thought was bizarre: When I log in to Napster via their client software, I can connect with no problem. I can also use most functions within Napster with no problem: the search functions, browser, etc. When I load songs into my playlist and attempt to play them (I am streaming the tracks instead of actually downloading them), I lose Internet connectivity within seconds. This happens consistently...all wireless connectivity on the notebook is fine until I try to play a track in Napster.

Now for the really strange part: The problem isn't that I lose connectivity on the notebook per se. I determined that what is actually happening is that the router drops its IP address whenever I try to play a track in Napster via the wireless connection (my wired PCs have no problems with Napster). Since the router is dropping its IP, all of the PCs on my network lose connectivity.

The only way that I have been able to restore connectivity is to log in to the admin page on the router, click the "DHCP Release" button under the Status tab, and then power cycle my cable modem, at which point the router once again pulls an IP from my ISP. If I just power cycle the modem without clicking "DHCP Release" first, the IP isn't restored (even though the admin page already shows the router's IP as 0.0.0.0 by that point).

I hope I didn't make that too long or confusing, but the long and short of it is thay every time I try to play a track in Napster via the wireless connection, I lose connectivity until I releaese the router's IP (although it has already changed to 0.0.0.0) and then power cycle my cable modem. It seems to be a case of one specific action within one specific application causing my router to lose its IP, and thus its connectivity.

Can anyone offer any help? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back